Rectal Prolapse

If you're caring for someone with rectal prolapse, it's important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. In this article, we discuss the severity of the condition, treatment options, and the importance of palliative care for ongoing support."

Rectal Prolapse
Photo by Danie Franco / Unsplash


I work with an an older woman who has an issue with rectal prolapses. Some times its just a tube like wrinkled prolapse and like today it was large ball like at top (tight skin) then the tube looking wiener like rectal intestine at bottom.. blood was present today... how long can she have a prolapse before taking her to hospital? I cannot imagine the discomfort(she is special needs and is non verbal) she goes through many tenas as she hates them having feces or blood at all on them... I am not accustom to dealing with prolapses and so should we be gauging the severity of them? to bring to Dr. to see if she can get surgery? we are at a loss... any help would be great.  Thanks.



Amanda, your poor little old lady must be struggling. This is not a condition that can be ignored. It sounds as if there is an ongoing condition that is not improving. You cannot delay treatment for this.

I do not know what other medical conditions she is suffering from. She may not be a good candidate for surgery.  The problem with a rectal prolapse, is cannot be pushed back in place. The possibility of developing a strangulating intestine is very real.

I would suggest you get her into see a GI specialist.  I would also recommend asking for a referral to a Palliative Care program.   Palliative care is a bridge to recovering from a condition. It can also be a bridge to hospice.   That is what keeps so many from asking for the referral.  Palliative care would provide you and your patient with ongoing support for her condition. They can come in and see her on a regular basis. They would also be able to call the doctor with concerns and issues they observe without always running to see the doctor.

I recommend getting an opinion on treatment.  If you are unhappy, get a second opinion.

I hope this will give you some ideas on how to handle this condition. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions.

-Diane Carbo, RN